Friday, March 29, 2013

Reuse Coffee Grounds and Reduce Your Trash

Nothing like a cuppa joe to...


... make the flowers grow!

Well, I love my cup of coffee in the morning. One of my co-workers suggested that I share my coffee grounds with plants -- especially acid-loving plants like roses, azaleas, blueberry bushes, tomatoes and more! Using coffee or tea grounds is an easy way to compost, and to keep those soil critters happy.

Coffee grounds add minerals, vitamins and nitrogen to the soil. What's the benefit? Vegetables, for example, are then stockier and less prone to insect infestation.

After successfully putting your coffee grounds to beneficial use, you may want to learn more about composting. Read our composting tips, pick up a compost bins at no additional charge, and help your lawn and garden flourish.

It’s nice to know that you can keep sharing a cup of coffee or tea with your friends close to the earth.


-- Jessica Fusillo, Collections Communications