Wednesday, July 25, 2007

How to get yard trim decals

From our mailbag:
My neighbor has a label that he pasted on a big waste bin where he puts his garden waste. I use the disposable paper bags which rot out on the bottom if rained on. Where can I get a label such as the ones my neighbor has?
Your new yard trim decals are only a few clicks away; we offer them to you at no charge through our website. Then, watch for the envelope in your mail.

You may also order decals by phone from our Customer Service staff: 240-777-6410.

Monday, July 23, 2007

How may you recycle a riding mower?

From our mailbag:
Would you please inform me of the options for disposing of a riding mower.
Sure! We accept riding mowers at the Shady Grove Transfer Station. However, you must transport the mower there yourself.

Drain any remaining oil and fuel from the mower. Then, bring it to the scrap metal recycling area at the Transfer Station.

More details about our Scrap Metal program

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Mark your recycling and trash containers with your house number

Our field staff receives many reports of missing recycling bins, and carts, and trash cans. The missing containers are often found next door or across the street.

The container might have been blown by wind, mistakenly put at a neighbor's curb by the collection crew, or taken in by a neighbor in error.

Recycling bin labeled with a permanent marker. Credit: C. WeddleOne simple action can help keep your containers at home: clearly marking them with your house number. Using a black permanent marker is an easy way to do this; stickers or paint are other options. Program Specialist Neil Einhorn suggests writing numbers at least three inches high.

Having your house number on your containers makes it easy to tell where they belong. It also identifies your recycling containers out of the group if you have a common neighborhood collection point.

Make it easy for your containers to find their way home keeps them available for your use. That also allows our field staff to work on resolving other issues for you.

Want higher-resolution copies of these photographs for use in your publication? Just let us know!

Recycling bin labeled stickers. Credit: K. Boyle

Recycling bin labeled with white paint. Credit: K. Boyle
Recycling cart for paper, labeled with spray paint. Credit: C. Weddle
Trash can labeled with white paint. Credit: K. Boyle

Monday, July 16, 2007

Share your enthusiasm for recycling in our Recycling Volunteer Program

Residents in the metropolitian Washington, DC, area volunteer in greater numbers and contribute more hours than the national average. That's according to a new report on volunteer habits, published by the Corporation for National and Community Service last week.

If you are interested in exploring -- or expanding -- your own volunteer activities, consider our Recycling Volunteer Program! We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities throughout the year, many on weekends. These include positions for students and adults.

To learn more about our Recycling Volunteer Program, contact Ana Arriaza through our website or at 240-777-6445. Our next volunteer training is Saturday, July 21, 2007, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Rockville.

We'll feature more information about our volunteers and their contributions to us and our community in future blog entries!

Monday, July 02, 2007

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 - Independence Day - modified schedules

Montgomery County-provided recycling and trash collections

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 - Independence Day - is a recycling and trash collection holiday. After the holiday, all County-provided recycling and trash collections will be one day later than normal.

If you have any questions or concerns about your County-provided collection, please contact our Customer Service staff online or call 240-777-6410.

Note: if you (or your community) have a private contract for your trash collection, these schedule announcements may not apply to your trash service -- check with your hauler or community manager.

Shady Grove Transfer Station