This week -- from March 15 to March 21, 2009 -- is National Poison Prevention Week.
Did you know these facts about poisons?
- Most poisonings involve everyday household items such as medicines, cleaning supplies, cosmetics and personal care items.
- 93 percent of all poison exposures occur in the home.
- 51 percent of poison exposures occur in children under the age of six.
- Over 70 percent of all poison fatalities occur in adults ages 20 to 59.
Where should you turn for help? The National Capital Poison Center serves our area. Have a poison emergency? Call 1-800-222-1222 immediately for help at no charge!
Some resources for poison prevention information:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (with podcasts)
- Poison Help (even includes a poison jingle ringtone for your phone!)
- US Environmental Protection Agency
If you find no-longer-needed or wanted poisons in your home, garage or garden, bring them to our Hazardous Waste program. Prevention is better than the cure!